Friday, August 19, 2011

Omg, so much to catch up on

But first thing's first...apparently new PIXAR stamps came out today! And they are, of course, adorable! For those of us that still use a pen and paper to write to the people we like (although, unfortunately not as often as we'd aim to), these are a perfect to elicit a smile as soon as the mailbox is opened. (Please note the correct usage of elicit vs illicit.). :)




In other news, my second drawing class was fantastic; thanks, Will Bonner! Though it was a little painstaking, I finished this pastel drawing of wine glasses that represent my mother and her 6 sisters. I hope to put it up in my house somewhere. It took ~20 hours, which is way longer than I ever worked on any piece before, but I'm very pleased with the result.




Because it was such a great experience to hang out 8 hours a week with a small group of people, I made my teacher and the other regular students sketchbooks. This was a great exercise for me, since I hadn't done a Japanese stab binding in a couple years, and it allowed me to use some paper that was cut incorrectly (it was cut on a bias, so the corners don't meet up when folded).

I also made each book specifically for the person: Will's was a collage since he does abstract work and once mentioned to me that I had a dangerous way with color! The end pages were of a stone-like, but a modern pattern, because he often referenced how cave people made art...with whatever they had!

Robert's was steeped in natural images, since he said once how he liked to go on hikes, and he took some lovely pictures on them, from which he drew. He also tried something different each class, so the style of paper used on either side of the cover was very different, but still in keeping with the nature theme.

Shaun's book was all in blues, because during the whole class he only used one palette. He was very deliberate and patient (much more than myself), but his drawings had a kind of dreamlike quality. I wanted to make him something with Japanese papers (he's half, like me), but that was monochromatic and powerful, like his drawings.








I have other things to share soon, but I want the people who are receiving them to see them first. :)

No comments: