Friday, June 6, 2008

Gocco Loco!

So with the economic stimulus package, or whatever, and considering I'm going to get $600 instead of the $300 I thought I was going to get, I decided to get this neat Japanese "toy" called gocco.

Gocco, you say?

I could go through and talk a bit more about the whole process, but if you're curious google "gocco". There's a pretty cool gocco group at Flickr and there are several gocco artists out there. Basically it's a small silkscreening press that makes postcard size images. You can also print more than one color at a time (which is awesome!) and isn't messy.

So the following depict the process that took about 40 minutes from drawing to finishing ~40 images. I tried it twice since the first set didn't come out quite how I wanted.

My aunt and uncle own a local bakery and since I didn't have an image that I needed 50 copies of, I decided I'd make oversized business card things. I'm not sure they're really going to use them, but I thought it'd be a good first project.



This is the very first gocco print I made. The rest printed much better.


While the rest of the prints did turn out better than the first, the different colors are a little too close--I think it might work better printed on two screens--but for a first time not too bad.

So I tried a second image that was photocopied from computer text and drawing with a riso pen. These turned out much cleaner.


Things I learned from my first gocco adventure:
1. Don't put different colors too close together until you know what you're doing (which I don't).
2. Make sure that your photocopy is clean otherwise there's a bunch of smudgy stuff on the prints.
3. Make sure that you proof your original for the correct information--who needs the entire phone number on a business card? Totally overrated. ;)

In any case, it was really fun and pretty quick--much faster than traditional silkscreening. While the prints are small, they're fine for cards and other small projects. If I come up with a good short story, I can even use the gocco to print small pamphlet books. How fun!

1 comment:

Naomi said...

As Nicole would say 'O-M-G'. Those are too adorable for words.

Sorry that your auntie is leaving so many comments! Don't you love when people comment?!!