Sunday, June 1, 2008

Past Projects



These two pictures are of the card I made for Nada, my dear friend who lives in AK and whose birthday is only 4 days before mine (well, 4 days and a couple of years, but who's counting?)

This book is called a tunnel book and I used different sheets of cardstock (that I probably got from Impress at U Village) to make the little sheets that hang in the windows. The text was hand written on vellum then hung with the sheet of cardstock in the back.



This book and the next were "craft traded" for some hand-made, knit hats made by a friend of a friend. How awesome is that? I have to admit, the craft trade was Katie's idea, and she still retains the dubious honor of being the only person who has one of my books (actually two of them) who doesn't share my blood or at least several years of friendship. I should put pictures up of her hats--maybe soon. Anyway, this book is a case-bound: the spine is made of cloth from Talas Online--and the paper is from Uwajimaya's in Seattle. The pages are 70 lb text from the Construction line at French Paper Company. I think there were 80 pages, and they were sewn on linen thread.


This is the second book from the "craft trade." This one is covered in oilcloth bought from the fabulous Archie McPhee's--who knew? It was coptic bound and had 90 or so pages of sketchbook paper from Artist and Craftsman. (not acid free). I think it's about 4" by 6". The thread is a waxed thread from Weaving Works. It's super waxy!



This one's a rather failed experiment at making vinyl work for the cover of a book. This vinyl was also purchased at Archie McPhee's, but it's really difficult to work with as it is not only thick, but also non-porous; this means that it takes forever for the glue to dry. It also makes a super thick cover, which does not look that great, especially with few number of pages that are contained in the book (only about 60, I think). Just 24 lb text from Office Depot. It's about 4.5" by 5.5" (quarter sheet).




This is one of my favorite books. I just love the red cover and the jazzy inside end pages. The cover is all crimson raw silk from Talas, and the jazzy inside pages were purchased at a little boutique on Capital Hill near Bauhaus, I think...but I can't remember the name. As it turns out, those end pages are printed by Pop Ink--whose products can be bought through the French Paper Company. The pages are 80 lb text, Sundance Natural, from Paper Zone (I know, I'm almost ashamed, but I love the paper!). The paper is nice and heavy and you can write on both sides without bleeding through . Totally vital. This is also a quarter sheet book.






This is a book that I'm going to send to one of my oldest friends--Renee. And when I say "oldest" that's in reference to friendship, not actual age. Renee's actually 51 weeks younger than I am, but that's neither here nor there. Renee is due to have a baby soon (name TBA), so this book is actually intended to be a scrapbook, either to catalog baby stuff or family stuff. The Matos Baby is a boy, and I thought the waves were strong and masculine, but the color was appropriate for baby's first "fill in the blank" if that's what they want to use it for. You can't see it in the picture, but the cover is very lightly shimmery with gold. It's really very pretty.

Again, the bookcloth is from Talas (really all my book cloth is), and the paper was purchased locally from the small yet fantastic de Medici Ming--a lovely paper shop located near the SAM. I'm sure I purchased the inside pages from UW bookstore, but I'm not sure what weight they are. And as you can see, there are even spacers. There are 60 pages and they were loosely bound on linen tapes. The book measures something like 8" tall by 9.5" wide. One day I'll actually measure before writing. :)

No comments: